THE RISKS AND THE NEED
ARE REAL

Pneumothorax(PTX) is the most common, potentially care and cost-intensive complication of CT-guided percutaneous lung biopsy.3

Clinically reported PTX incidence rates range from 15-42%.1

Up to 17% of pneumothoraces are large enough to require chest tube placement.1

Patients who are smokers and those with COPD, emphysema, or one lung
are at a significantly higher risk for PTX.2

PTX can be a costly burden - leading to additional radiographs, chest tube placements, ER or inpatient admission, and delayed time to ambulation and hospital discharge.2

HEALTHCARE UTILIZATION
COSTS OF PERCUTANEOUS LUNG BIOPSY

$1000 $2000 $3000 $4000 $5000 $6000
$2478
$5796
NO PTX PTX with Inpatient
Admission

A retrospective review of cancer center’s interventional radiology procedures database of 405 patients who underwent fluoroscopy-guided FNA biopsy of a lung lesion over a 19-month period.

Pneumothorax treatment ranged from 1 to 13 days. The tubes were removed within 24 hours from 46 (62%) patients (33 outpatients, 12 emergency department patients, and one inpatient). In the remaining 28 (38%) patients, catheter drainage lasted longer than 24 hours.

*Study conducted in 1995-96; data have been converted to 2012 dollars.

Until now, there have not been consistently proven and effective methods to prevent pneumothorax associated with lung biopsy.